Managing Upwards – What’s Your Plan?
Your relationship with your boss can be controlled or, at least, deeply influenced by how well you learn to communicate with and manage your boss. If you wait for the boss to notice you you may be completely overlooked. If you wait for your boss to pick up you are struggling you may have a long wait. If you wait for your boss to observe, unprompted, all of your hard earned accomplishments you may find yourself the only one at the celebration party.
You may have more power over your career than you may realise. How well are you managing up? Checklist for victory (secure 10/10 and you’ll be bang on track!)
- I empower my manager to manage me well.
- I keep my manager fully informed, especially of bad news.
- I have weekly meetings with my manager to report and learn.
- I relate to my manager as more of a great coach.
- I make strong requests of my manager so I produce well.
- I don’t compete or react to my manager. We’re equals.
- I immediately give my manager problems I cannot solve. ( I don’t ‘suprise’ the boss when the problem has escalated to a big issue)
- I brief my manager well – with data, options, and recommendations.
- I put myself in my manager’s shoes and manage from there.
- Regardless, I always stay in full communication with my manager.