So you want to be a Powerful Team… Why would you want to put yourself through that Work?
“We want to be a Team”.
That’s a typical request and declaration of end state. Fair enough.
“Why would you want to do that?”
That’s not the expected response – as determined by the oft following silence.
If you want to be a High Performing Team its part of the territory that you will need, in spades:
- Work, effort, investment of time and energy. Work, it takes work. Can you put in the work? Be honest – before it gets messy.
- Self examination. It’s not enough to theorise ‘Know Thyself’. This is work too.
- A determination and the humility to recognise behavioural changes required. First you have to stop certain behaviours, then you have start new ones. That’s a tough gig.
- To start understanding other humans and stop judging them – and wanting them to be different. It is so easy to write that…
- Drop the habits of a lifetime and replace with more successful habits. Anyone ever tried to change the habits of a lifetime of a grown up human?
The reason to ask “Why”? is to be sure teams know what they are putting themselves up for and the massive commitment that will entail.
There is not one High Performing Team that does not have a ‘high work on self’ ethic. Then again, nothing of value comes without effort and who wants to be bored stiff being comfortable all the time.