What Will You Make It Mean?
1. Events happen / change occurs. Constantly.
2. We cannot control them / it.
3. We put meaning on them / it. Always.
4. The meanings determine the quality, satisfaction and effectiveness of our work, our life, our leadership.
5. Since we can always change or correct our meanings, we can change our feelings, behaviour, action and results.
Our Responses are based on the Meaning we create not on the Event that occurred.
Those that we ‘lead’; colleagues, friends, family, community, look to us to create a powerful meaning. That’s not to say we gloss over failure with positive thinking and trite words. Quite the opposite really. Tell it how it is but give hope, encouragement and direction. I want nothing less from my boss (which, in my case is me!)
It may not be true that ‘everything is meaningless other than the meaning you give it’ but it certainly gives you the power to interpret the situation versus putting the power with others or circumstances.
Successful, powerful, happy people CHOOSE meanings that empower themselves and others.
Is that ‘story’ that you have made up about your job, boss, partner, industry, potential or capability, actually lifting your spirits or draining the living daylights out of you? If its the latter, validate the story against ‘true’, ‘false’ or don’t know’.
It’s all about choice – is your response that of a legend or a victim – does it empower or dis-empower you? A direct choice.
An acknowledgment to ‘More to Life’ a non-profit educational charity for the above insight.
I’m taking part in the RNLI Castle 2 Castle Swim across the River Fal in June. I’d greatly appreciate any donations. Thanks!